java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Friday, March 4, 2011

daily java

Daily Java:
So they brought the boy. But when the evil spirit saw Jesus, it threw the child into a violent convulsion, and he fell to the ground, writhing and foaming at the mouth. “How long has this been happening?” Jesus asked the boy’s father. He replied, “Since he was a little boy. 22 The spirit often throws him into the fire or into water, trying to kill him. Have mercy on us and help us, if you can.” “What do you mean, ‘If I can’?” Jesus asked. “Anything is possible if a person believes.” The father instantly cried out, “I do believe, but help me overcome my unbelief!” (Mark 6:20-24)
There is a power available to the Christian that is beyond anything (like Ephesians 3 says), that we can ask or even imagine.

We don’t usually get it because of our lack of faith. That isn’t to say that God is  hamstrung by our lack of faith. Sometimes he just does stuff. But in general we do not have because we just do not ask for it.

The man here had a son who was violently possessed by a demon. He asked Jesus to heal the boy is he could. You can imagine Jesus almost laughing. “If I can? Man, all things are possible to him who believes.”

The man realized the power that was standing before him and his lack of faith in it. He cried out, Lord, help me believe more!

Faith is one of those hard things to really grasp. We believe, but the belief comes from God. Romans 10:17 says, So faith comes from hearing, that is, hearing the Good News about Christ.

We really only believe in God when he enters into our hearts to give us that ability. So the ability to believe strongly is one that he also implants.

It is only through his power that we can believe and we can only latch onto his power by believing.

In other words, all good things come from him and go toward him.

What we do is latch onto that power and fill ourselves with him and his knowledge. Then we believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.