java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Saturday, March 26, 2011

daily java

Daily Java:
Now Laban had two daughters. The older daughter was named Leah, and the younger one was Rachel. There was no sparkle in Leah’s eyes, but Rachel had a beautiful figure and a lovely face. Since Jacob was in love with Rachel, he told her father, “I’ll work for you for seven years if you’ll give me Rachel, your younger daughter, as my wife.” “Agreed!” Laban replied. “I’d rather give her to you than to anyone else. Stay and work with me.” So Jacob worked seven years to pay for Rachel. But his love for her was so strong that it seemed to him but a few days. (Genesis 29:16-20)
There has never been anyone love anyone more unconditionally as my wife has loved me.

I have known a lot of men and women in my life, have counseled them, visited with them, sat and ate with them and above all, listened to them talk. It amazes me at the things that men and women who have publicly proclaimed their love for each other will say about and to each other.

I do not know why, but marriage seems to bring out the worst in some people. They feel that since they are intimate with each other, they can say whatever they want. And sometimes, the things that they say are so full of ugliness and pain.

I have never said a single negative thing to anyone about my wife, and I know full well she has never said anything bad about me to anyone either.

We love each other. And quite frankly, I love her in many ways because she loves me so much. I mean, how could I not?

She is invariably kind and sweet to me. And it seems that the more her disease progresses (she has MS which brings a lot of pain to her legs), the sweeter she gets. This is both to me and to others in general.

That doesn’t mean that we never have an argument. Only weird people never argue. Somebody says, “I have never had an argument with my wife” and I suspect they are not all there mentally or lying, one or the other.

When you live together with some one, you are going to have disagreements. It is human nature. But our disagreements do not rule our marriage. Our love does.

I always use that passage above when I marry people. Jacob wanted to marry Rachel. In that culture, had to pay for his wife by working or giving a large present. Kind of like the Indians getting horses for their daughters. But he loved her enough that he was willing to work the seven years for her.

I would have paid a lot of horses or whatever for Ella. That is provided her dad had asked for them, although what he would have done with them in suburban Houston I don’t know. But anyway, I would have.

I could never find anyone else like her. To have done so in the stupidity of youth is amazing.

But I did and I love her. Just thought I would tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.