java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Thursday, March 17, 2011

daily java

Daily Java:
Lord, have mercy on me. Make me well again, so I can pay them back! (Psalm 41:10)
I went to the doctor early this morning. Got up at 6:30 to be across Lincoln by 7:30. Had a lab first, with 10 hour fasting.

The phlebotomist took me in and drew blood and all, then I went back downstairs to wait for two hours until my appointment.

The VA is an odd place. You get all kinds, from fresh veterans to old guys who were in WWII and Korea and the beginning of Viet Nam. People of all kinds and types come through there.

I suppose the main unifying characteristic is that they look old. Some are not much if any older than I am, but they are grizzled with scraggly beards and pony tails and maybe biker vests and all. Just in general a strange looking group of people.

But Ella and I sat and read while we waited. Then the doctor called.

I went in and the nurse weighed me and took my blood pressure, pulse, that sort of thing.

She also gave me the results of my blood tests from 7:30 that morning. They were great!

She also commented on the fact that I had lost 30 pounds since December when I was there last. I told her the reason, my 21 day fast, and she had trouble processing that.

She asked, what do you eat on a fast. I replied, nothing, that is why it is called a fast. You ate nothing for three weeks? That’s right.

The doctor also commented on it. He also commented on the fact that as far as everything else is concerned, I am in great health. My cholesterol, my blood pressure, my blood sugar, everything is well within norms. I am fine. And I weigh 30 pounds less than three months ago.

It was strange. I walked in there with a bit of dread. It is like that when you go to get the results of tests of any kind, especially physical.

I had some stuff wrong, of course. My back hurts and I have a bad cough I have had for a year or more. But in general, I walked out of there a lot healthier than I was when I walked in.

It is funny how something like figures on a sheet of paper can make you feel so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.