java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Monday, June 14, 2010

youtube videos

Not long ago, I watched a YouTube video of a young woman who was trying to keep a large black and white cow out of her bathroom. It insisted on coming through the door squashing her behind the door while she cried.

Why was I watching this, you ask?

To tell you the truth, because it was there. Ella and I were watching videos of cats doing stuff, and this one was referenced on the video as another something to watch, so we did.

Several things came to mind. One was what was a cow doing in the house? I barely like the cat in the house, much less livestock.

Second, why was she trying to keep it out of the bathroom. If you are going to let the cow in the house, you might as well let it come in the bathroom. At least that is what I figure.

And third, what is it that possesses a grown man to watch a video of a cow mashing a woman in its desire to come into a bathroom?

Ella said, because it was funny. And who was filming it? And why was he not doing anything about it while his wife cried being mashed behind a door by a large cow?

Of course, I also watched a video of chickens attacking a woman and then getting into a Volkswagen and driving over her. There was a lot of blood.

I will have to admit: the internet is full of stuff to do.

But it also can be a black hole for your time if you let it.

In fact lots of things can be. TV, reading, internet – anything that occupies more of your time than God. If you read stuff more than you read your Bible, it will not be surprising if you don’t think in terms of godliness.

The old expression says Garbage In, Garbage Out. In other words, you are what you eat. If you “eat”, or take in, junk, junk will come out. If you take in things of God, they will come in.

That is why the Bible says, Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. (Colossians 3:1-3).

YouTube videos are good and fun, and there is a lot of good stuff there. And don’t let anyone tell you there is not a place for everything in the Christian’s life.

But don’t let them rule your life

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.