java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Friday, June 25, 2010

daily java

Daily Java: After this, Job opened his mouth and cursed the day of his birth. 2 He said 3 "May the day of my birth perish, and the night it was said, 'A boy is born!' (Job 3)

You ever feel like that? I just wish I had never been born.

Every kid in the world says that at one time or another. “I didn’t ask to be born!”

True. You did not. In fact, when you were conceived, no one gave a flip as to whether or not you were going to be born. They were busy at the time. You just were.

But you were. You were dragged kicking and screaming into the world, protesting all the way.
And sometimes it is easy to say, I wish I had not been born. Everything would have been better.

Of course, one of my favorite movies used that as its main idea. It’s A Wonderful Life. It was based on the idea that a man got to cancel out his life and see what would be if he had never been born.

He found out that it wasn’t so simple as he thought. He had impacted a lot of people. A lot of people were worse off because he had not been born.

That doesn’t mean that your life is necessarily wonderful and that millions have benefited by your presence.

Maybe. Maybe only a few. But your life, as did Job’s, means something.

Job lived his life as an example to us that sometimes bad things just happen. Not my idea of a fun way to live.

It is kind of like an Andy Capp cartoon I read. Andy, who is a hard-core unemployed good-for-nothing, is bemoaning the fact that his life has been for nothing. His long-suffering wife, Flo, said, Nonsense, Pet. (They are British). She says, You serve as a bad example, an example for parents to point to and tell their children, don’t be like that. Andy went off pleased, feeling his life had purpose.

You do not know what that purpose is, or why you are here. But remember Esther in the Old Testament. Something came up that only she could deal with, and the comment was made, how do you know you were not put in this position for such a day as this? She took it to heart and saved an entire nation.

Do what you can with what you have. God made you and has a purpose for you. Just remember that.

And work with him. You can do some great stuff if you will let him work through you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.