java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

daily java

Daily Java: The father of a righteous man has great joy; he who has a wise son delights in him.  (Proverbs 23:24)

Any fool can be a father. That is the absolute truth.

All you need is a woman and time to have sex. Then you can be a father. Or maybe sperm donor is more accurate.

But a Dad. It takes a special person to be a Dad.

Being a good father is hard. Taking care of and raising you children with love and compassion is only part of the job. And when a father sees his children turn out good, it is worth everything.

You want what is best for your children. That is normal. After all, you love them and do not want them to go through life without some preparation and guidance.

And a good father is called on throughout his life for advice. There is always something you get yourself into that you need to ask someone’s opinion on.

That is what a father does. Provide a life-long support level.

And of course, any child will see God as he or she sees his or her father.

If their father is mean, God is mean. If their father is lazy, God will be lazy. If their father is loving and generous, God will be, too. Not because God mirrors us, but because that is our model.

Fathers that do not provide their children with a good role model rob them of something great: a picture of God.

Sunday is Father’s Day. I am sending my dad a card and a letter telling him what I remember about him. I don’t know if it will do any good, as he has Alzheimer's and doesn’t remember much.

But I do. And I want him to, also.

More on him this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.