java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Thursday, June 10, 2010

being suddenly noticed

I was sitting there in my chair and suddenly Ella’s cat looked at me. It was kind of strange. He (Mordecai was his name. He is gone now) was lying on the couch when he suddenly sat up and looked at me.

That is an odd moment of communication. Especially since I do not know what he was communicating. But I really saw him for a moment and we connected.

Maybe he wanted some milk. He could drink a lot if we gave it to him, but then so can I. Maybe he thought of something, except what a cat would think of with that clarity of perception, I cannot imagine.

Whatever it was he wanted, in a minute something else caught his attention and he went to do something else.

Sudden moments of being noticed are strange. It is like when you are walking down the street and there is a person looking at you, or watching your car. When someone is watching my car drive by, my first thought is something is wrong with the car. Sometimes I will even get out and walk around it looking.

I suppose they were just taken with the handsome man in the gold van. Yeah, that’s probably it.

If they are looking at me and smiling, it always bothers me. I tend to want to check my fly.

Things like that happen in a spiritual sense sometimes too. In Isaiah 6, the prophet Isaiah was standing around when suddenly the Lord appeared to him and Isaiah saw his glory, along with a lot of the heavenly glory.

Quite a startlement to Isaiah. The last thing he expected that day was the notice of God. And the Lord gave him his commission and told him he would probably fail at it because no one would listen anyway. The problem would be, no one would connect with him. Even though he spoke for the Lord.

Now mind you, I am not comparing my wife’s cat, Mordecai, to Isaiah. But still. It is funny sometimes when you see something so strong in something so daily and commonplace.

When God looks at us, we want to notice it. When he speaks to us, we need to listen. When he tells us what he wants us to do, we obey.

It would truly be a shame to miss an opportunity to receive something great from God because we were not paying attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.