java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

somebody has hurt you

If your enemies are hungry, give them food to eat.
      If they are thirsty, give them water to drink.
You will heap burning coals of shame on their heads,
      and the Lord will reward you. (Proverbs 25:21- 22)
Somebody has hurt you. He has done things to you that have not only hurt you, but hurt your family. Great pain has come from what they have done. You and your wife and children suffer from what they have done.

So what do you do? Load up the shotgun and visit them? Work out an elaborate system of revenge that will spring on them when they least expect it? Snub them? Tell everyone what they have done and try your level best to make them a pariah in the community? Act ugly to them?

All of these things come to mind, of course. We are, after all, human. Especially where our families are concerned.

So what do you do? You be nice to them.

Someone had done a lot of harm to me, and by extension, my wife. And everybody knew it, as did the person. We had a baptism ceremony to which he came. Everyone in my church wondered what I would do, as did I. 

When the guy came in and sat down, I walked over and said hello, shook his hand and welcomed him. That’s all. I had no desire to talk to him. He had done enough damage to me that I didn’t like him, nor do I consider him a Christian. Since he had done this in the past, I think my opinion was valid.

But I said hello and welcomed him. Several in my church were amazed, as was the guy. And I really think he was embarrassed and taken back by my reaction to him.

I didn’t like him. And if a hole had opened up under him, I am not sure I would have leaped to his rescue. But nothing was gained by my snubbing him, or walking over and looking all wounded or angry.

On the other hand, I have always tried to be nice to him, even though he is an idiot. And he knows I think so, even though I have never told him or anyone else. It does not take a lot of brains to know that when you do something bad to someone else, they will not like you.

And he knew what he was doing when he did it, and knew it was hurting us, but seemed unable in life in general to make himself do something more constructive.

But as the scripture says, Dear friends, never take revenge. Leave that to the righteous anger of God. For the Scriptures say, “I will take revenge; I will pay them back,” says the Lord. Instead, “If your enemies are hungry, feed them. If they are thirsty, give them something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals of shame on their heads.” (Romans 12:19-20)

You do what is right and God will bless you.

The man did not change his attitude for long. He is still an idiot. But I am a child of God, and I act like it. And will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.