java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

daily java

Daily Java:
Sing a new song to the Lord!
      Let the whole earth sing to the Lord!
 Sing to the Lord; praise his name.
      Each day proclaim the good news that he saves. (Psalm 96)
I was about ten years old and was sitting in the living room of our house on West Eighth Street in Freeport, TX. I looked out the front door in time to see a man drive by. He sneezed directly in front of our house, never stopping.

I remember that to this day, and the memory is so strong that it could almost seem like yesterday.

I have no idea of who the man was or where he was going, what kind of car he was driving, even what color it was. But I remember him sneezing directly in front of our house.

It’s strange what you remember, and how absolutely trivial the memory is.

Others come to mind that were almost instantaneous, yet they are so sharp. And they remain in my memory banks for more than fifty years.

Then there are things that I do not remember. My wife was telling me something the other day that I have no memory of. She remembers it as being important, but I do not remember it at all.

Why does one thing stick and another doesn’t? I don’t know, but the memory of that man sneezing in front of our house over fifty years ago is still strong.

I do remember the time when I acknowledged that I needed the Lord. I accepted Jesus December 13, 1959 at the Freeport Church of Christ in Freeport, TX. It was a Sunday night and I was baptized that night. I came out of  the water and felt like there ought to be angels singing or something.

After I had dried off and changed clothing, I came out into the auditorium and took communion. It had been left until after my baptism so everyone could take it with me. I was wearing a white shirt and dark slacks. That memory is also strong.

Others crowd in.

This blog post really doesn’t mean much I suppose, and the scripture really doesn’t have much to do with it. But I like it and wanted to use it.

I want each day to make new memories and for those memories to be in him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.