java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Thursday, October 27, 2011

daily java

Daily Java:
“We are ashamed,” the people say.
      “We are insulted and disgraced
   because the Lord’s Temple
      has been defiled by foreigners.” (Jeremiah 51:51)
There are some things I have always liked to do that seem to be cast in a bad light, some words that I have always used that now have been ruined. This is primarily because the world hijacks them and uses them to their own ends, destroying them forever.

The word “gay” has been gone for a while now, co-opted by the homosexual society. Where once you could refer to people as being gay, no you cannot. The same with the word “bright.” The atheists have tried for a while to use that word for themselves. I am not sure yet if it will catch on. If it does, it is another word down the tubes.

Certain things I used to do with no problem now take on a veneer of ugliness.

I was in Fort Gordon, GA, in 1970. When I went back to Georgia after Christmas leave, I drove my car. On the way I picked up a friend in Shreveport, LA, and we went together. on the way, we stopped at a motel and shared a bed for the night. That was not an uncommon occurrence, as many hotels had only one bed.

But I wouldn’t do it now. It has been slimed with ugly associations.

In 1980, I went to Ephrata, WA, to speak on a Sunday morning. I took a teenaged boy with me and we spent the night in a motel before getting there. I would never do that today. It has been slimed with too much bad association.

So many things that were totally innocent have been ruined but our allowing others to co-opt them for their own ends.

In church, it is hard to use certain words because of connotations. Certain songs are hard to sing because they mean something different now than they did when written.

It is all because the Lord’s temple has been defiled by foreigners. When we allow others to determine how we talk and to determine what we say means, we do damage to the Lord’s temple.

Not sure what we can do about it, but sometimes it is hard to look at the wreckage we have allowed to be made of society, both in and out of the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.