java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Monday, October 17, 2011

daily java

Daily Java:
I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them. Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and dignity. This is good and pleases God our Savior, who wants everyone to be saved and to understand the truth. (1 Timothy 2:1-4)
The election season is upon us in full force. The candidates want desperately to be the one that runs for president. And they will do or say anything they have to do in order to be that one.

Reading the news pages, depending upon which sites you read, the president is exalted and maligned. He is called a liar, the fool-in-chief, anything you can think of. People are trying desperately to tear down his authority and his office so that someone else can come it. When that person gets in, others will tear him down to get at the office again.

It is a cycle with constant tearing and maligning, constant calls of liar and stupid, incompetence and anything else opponents can think of.

But that is not the way the Bible says to do it. The Bible says, here in this passage by the apostle Paul, that we are to pray for our leaders. The king would be the same as our highest leader, the president. We are to pray for them, not speak against them.

And that is hard.

In America, we have the opportunity to vote for the one we want to lead us as president. But in our desire to change leaders – and there is nothing wrong with that – we sin in maligning our president.

I am not a fan of our current president. I think he ought to be as far from the office of president as he can be. He has no business being there. However, he is the president and as such, he has the right to my prayers on his behalf.

That is godliness on my part, regardless of his actions. I do my part no matter whether he does his or not. We have to remember that when the apostle Paul  wrote this, the Roman emperor Nero was in control. And he was a bad and cruel man. But still God said to pray for him.

I follow the elections and will vote for the one I think is best. But I will also pray for the president no matter what I think of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.