java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

a visit to a coffeehouse

Sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy. (Psalm 33:3)
Tonight we went to a coffeehouse and heard a man play the 12 string guitar. He was purely instrumental, said he couldn’t sing, and played in a New Age style. He was very good, but he was a bit predictable in what he played. His style was that of a talented person noodling around on the guitar.

I found out, however, that he cannot read music and he plays by ear. He said he also plays each song exactly the same way each time. Hard as that to believe for me (I read music but am only average on the guitar), I have heard of several musicians lately who do not read music yet are world renowned musicians.

Paul McCartney and Jimi Hendrix were two that couldn’t read music but were very good at what they did. I can read music, but all I am is a consistent banger on the guitar.

It was enjoyable, but there were very few there. I suppose that the 3 degree temperature and the 15 mph north wind kept a lot of people inside. We had a good time, though, listening to him and I can see going back often.

I have always wished I could play like that. But growing up in a non-instrumental church there was never any real opportunity to do so. It was one of those things that never came up.

Ella was the same way in her playing the piano. All she did was play a few songs her dad liked and that was it. She never learned to really play like she could have in a church setting where instruments were allowed.

As I get older too, my hands are getting arthritis. It makes them hard sometimes to work right. I also have carpal tunnel syndrome, one of those new diseases, in my hands. It is really bad in my right hand, especially with the way I sleep with the sleep mask. I put it on, turn over and wake up several hours later with my hand dead.

Nothing I can do about it, but it does make my hand hurt when I play for a while. I get to where I can’t feel where the pick is in my fingers. I am afraid I will lose the pick one day and be playing energetically and cut my finger on the strings. That is a real fear, although it probably will not happen.

I just have to accept the fact that I probably will not get any great amount better. I just hope the arthritis and such holds off until I am ready to die. I like playing and singing. I do look forward, however, to the day when I have a praise band and someone else leads. That way I can play when I feel like it and not have to all the time.

It was a good evening. It was also different from what we ordinarily do.

One thing, though. The coffeehouse is basement level and has red brick walls. It reminds me of my coffeehouse so much that it was almost painful at first. I miss it and would give a lot to have it back. It also was the kind of coffeehouse we wanted to open in Kansas City, especially with the live music. It probably is good we didn’t. Ella probably couldn’t handle it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.