java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Friday, February 4, 2011

jesus could sure make people mad

No one could say a word in reply, and from that day on no one dared to ask him any more questions. (Matthew 22:46)
Jesus just had a way with words. He had just gotten through talking about marriage in heaven and other stuff.  I think he had just gotten tired of these guys, the religious leaders, following him around trying to trip him up.

So he showed them a Gordian knot – an old expression for a knot that could not be untied.

He asked them if the Son of Man, the accepted designation among the teachers for the Messiah, was the son of David. Of course, they said. Everybody knows that.

Well, then, Jesus asked, why is it that David could call his son Lord? He quotes Psalm 110:1.
The Lord said to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand until I put your enemies under your feet.”
Then he asked, If then David calls him ‘Lord,’ how can he be his son? Conundrum city. How can the son be the Lord?

This was obviously something that they liked to argue about. He cut straight to the chase and gave them what to them was an unanswerable question. How is it that David’s son could be David’s Lord? How can a son rule the father?

Their response: nothing. And from that day no one dared to ask him any more questions. They were through with him. He had made them look foolish one time too many. It wasn’t long, in fact, until they killed him.

It was also right after this verse that he gives his scathing denunciation of them and their character in Matthew 23. That was the last straw.

One thing Jesus could do, though, was make people mad. And he could also shut them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.