java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Saturday, February 5, 2011

titles

But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have only one Master and you are all brothers. And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. Nor are you to be called ‘teacher,’ for you have one Teacher, the Christ. The greatest among you will be your servant. For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted. (Matthew 23:8-12)
I have never really liked the designation of Reverend. It seems rather audacious. Especially since Psalm 111:9 says of God that holy and reverend is his name.

I know. The NIV along with several others say awesome instead of reverend, but still.

I came from an iconoclastic background that eschewed honorifics of any kind. The minister was never the pastor or Reverend or anything but brother. That was a corporate theology that was the kind that is fine if you choose it, but ugly if mandated.

I have always preferred not to have to use the title. I use it if needed and have for a while, and the International Church of the Foursquare Gospel has given me full permission to use it.

But it is when it is expected that it becomes bad. In fact it is as bad as when it is forbidden.

It is always surprising to me when a minister comes into church and expects you to recognize them and their position. That is wrong.

Jesus said that we are not to love titles. God is our Master and our Teacher and our Father. I have no problem with people using those, but when they become part of their requirements it becomes bad.

Jesus himself came as a servant. John 13 shows him washing his apostles’ feet much to their chagrin. He wanted them to know that if he could do that for him, they had nothing to brag about.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

That is what I believe. And that is why you can just call me John if you want to. If I am you pastor, you will know it. Requiring the title doesn’t make me that. If you love me and respect me, you will accept me. If you don’t, calling me the Right Reverend John Cliver will not make any difference.

And there is nothing worse to me than someone who does not respect me calling me Pastor. He is lying and I hate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.