java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Saturday, February 26, 2011

my father

Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you. (Exodus 20:12)

I just got back a couple of hours ago from a 1500 mile round trip to Tyler, TX, to help to bury my father, John, Sr.

He died this past Tuesday of complications related to his Alzheimer’s, cancer and pneumonia. He was 82. All together, the combination of things was just too much for him. My mother, Ruby, was with him when he died.

Ella and I drove the 750 miles to Tyler Wednesday and we had the funeral Friday. There were probably at least one hundred people there. My brother, GW, and I spoke and gave some remembrances of our time with him.

I saw people I had not seen in forty to fifty years and, as it happens so often at funerals, we had a good visit. I will not see them again until we have another funeral, and if it is mine, I won’t then.

My father was a good man. A deacon and an elder in the church, a Bible class teacher, an occasional preacher and a mentor in many ways, he was a great example to me. We often didn’t see eye to eye, as we were different types of people. He was old country and I wasn’t.

He was a hard worker who climbed electrical poles for Houston Lighting and Power for years. Even though his knees were bad, he continued until finally the company promoted him. he would work all day then sometimes at night helping other people. He and my mother were invariably hospitable.

He retired early and he and my mother  traveled around with a group of retirees who went to help small churches and Christian colleges (all affiliated with the Church of Christ) to do things needed.

I could not have had a better role model. And I hope that my model will be remembered by my children, Sam and Abby, as long as they live.

He will always be with me. And I honor him. And I loved and love him.

One day I will see him again. The song at his funeral was What a day that will be when my Jesus I shall see, And I look upon His face, The One who saved me by His grace; When He takes me by the hand And leads me through the Promised Land, What a day, glorious day that will be.

Praise the blessed name of Jesus for John Thomas Cliver, Sr.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.