java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Thursday, February 10, 2011

daily java

Daily Java:
Aaron’s sons Nadab and Abihu took their censers, put fire in them and added incense; and they offered unauthorized fire before the LORD, contrary to his command. So fire came out from the presence of the LORD and consumed them, and they died before the LORD. Moses then said to Aaron, “This is what the LORD spoke of when he said:
     Among those who approach me
          I will show myself holy;
     in the sight of all the people
          I will be honored.” (Leviticus 10:1-3)
Aaron remained silent.

God told the priests that they were to use acceptable fire, not just any old fire. But Nadab and Abihu had a problem with authority, a bad problem for leaders. For people to accept your authority, they have to know you also accept authority.

When they brought in the contraband fire, God destroyed them. And here is the worst part, Aaron could not mourn.

I would imagine that he was not surprised at it. He had probably always had problems with the boys and it came, although as a shock, as no real surprise.

This was in the same vein that the incident at the Jordan River when Achan stole some of the money from the pillage of Jericho that was supposed to be a tribute to God. God had told them that everything they got from Jericho was his. Achan took a very small amount, causing the Israelites to lose their next battle. He and his family were destroyed.

It is also like the incident in the early church with Ananias and Sapphira in Acts 5. They saw people bringing in stuff to the apostles and decided to cash in on the glory. They sold some land and only gave part to the Lord, claiming to have given all of it. They didn’t have to give any of it, but the Lord told the apostle Peter they had lied and both were killed by God.

All three of these were relatively minor infractions, things that would hardly be noticed today. But God was making a point. The point was: I am serious about what I say. Each of these was a watershed moment for the people of God.

With Nadab and Abihu, it was do what I told you. With Achan and Ananias and Sapphira, it was don’t lie to me. In all three cases, you can imagine that for a while they were very careful. it put the literal fear of God into their lives.

Our culture has become so phlegmatic over this kind of thing with a who cares attitude. What would happen if God came down and reiterated his comments to these five people? Would it make a difference?

It did to the Israelites. They whined and griped and caterwauled all the way through the desert, but they never again went against God’s will on what to do. instead they became inflexible and began to worship the things they did.

I don’t know about the results of Achan’s and Ananias’ and Sapphira’s sins. Things in the nation of Israel kept declining until God destroyed the who batch of them. The church kept going with its lies and deceptions until today. For a while, in both instances, they were careful. But because it was not repeated, they went on with their lives.

It is like the guy who eats all the wrong food and gets a heart attack. For a while, he is assiduous in doing and eating what he needs to do and eat. Then, after a time, he slips back into his old ways. And it happens all over again.

When I finish this fast, I do not want to slip back into my old ways. Lord help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.