java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Sunday, August 5, 2012

daily java

Daily Java:
The fool has said in his heart, there is no God. (Psalm 53:1)
I love the Beatles and like listening to them. I still remember the first time I heard one of their songs. 1964 in eighth grade – “I Want to Hold your Hand.” It was so different.

All I had heard of them was that my parents (along with 95% of all adults I ever listened to) didn’t like them. They were revolutionary, discordant rock and roll, the devil’s own music.  Mop top degenerates, singing mindless lyrics (“Yeah, yeah, yeah!”)

But secretly (little revolutionary I was) I liked them. I grew into their songs and even sang some of them in a quartet in choir. We went around to various functions – 2 girls, Marian Armstrong and Cathy Clawson – and 2 boys – me, of course, and either Stan Van Horn or Paul Francis – and sang Beatles songs in such a good way no one could refuse to hear it.

Musically the Beatles were very good. So when they broke up I was upset, but kept up with the individual Beatles. So I listened to John Lennon’s Imagine and thought it was cool, neat, heavy, man. But as I got older I began to realize that the man was an idiot with an idiot’s view of paradise.

“Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try, No people below us, above it's only sky, Imagine all the people, Living for today. Imagine there's no countries, it isn't hard to do, No need to kill or die for and no religions too. Imagine all the people, Living life in peace. Oh, You, you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope some day you'll join us And the world will be as one.”

Beautiful melody, inane lyrics to the max. A world of just happy people all standing around with flowers, loving each other, peace reigning. And all because the people had finally realized the futility of religion.. All of us living in peace, doing – something. I am not sure what we would all be doing in such a vacuous world.

But that song impacted a generation and is now viewed as an anthem of a perfect world. Just get rid of all that religion stuff, all that God stuff, just don’t worry, man. Let it all hang out and do your own thing, baby.

Of course, that is the recipe for a world going to hell, but we would go to hell so musically, led by a guy who fooled himself and a whole generation of people.

There is no world without God and only a fool would say so. Romans 1 says that you can see God in everything you look at and that we all worship him innately, just automatically. We are made that way because we are made in God’s image.

We are made to serve him and life will never be any good until we do. There will always be something missing as long as we are not serving God.

As I said, I liked the Beatles and listened to them a lot over the years. I still do. But there is a difference between listening to something and subscribing to it.

Without God life is nothing, no matter how beautiful the song may be that says otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.