java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Thursday, August 2, 2012

daily java

Daily Java:
And now, son of man, this is what the Sovereign LORD says: Call all the birds and wild animals. Say to them: Gather together for my great sacrificial feast. Come from far and near to the mountains of Israel, and there eat flesh and drink blood! (Ezekiel 39:17)
In 1985 I had gone back to college to get another degree. As part of my support, I drove to a church 100 miles away every Sunday to preach. It was a small country church in the middle of nowhere in central Tennessee.

Near the church was another church that the little settlement had been name for. It had been there for over 100 years and had an old cemetery behind it. Since I stayed there all day, I liked to walk around the area and especially in the small cemetery.

One fall I was walking around in the cemetery looking at the gravestones and just kind of thinking about nothing. There were chickens from the house next door walking around in the cemetery.

Behind me in the leaves, I heard something running toward me. When I turned around, I saw that a rooster was running at me full bore.

Not knowing what else to do, when he got near me to attack me, I kicked him full of the face. Since I had on Hush Puppies at the time, it didn’t make as much of an impact as I wanted.

He rolled backwards and came up again to charge me. I kicked him a second time. He rolled over and stood looking at me. I turned to leave and heard him yet again. Again I kicked him so hard, I was amazed he was not damaged.

We looked at each other, this small rooster and I, and I backed out of the cemetery.

The next week I went back, this time wearing wing-tips. I was going to show him what for. But the chickens were all gone. The cemetery was empty, devoid of chickens.

I went back and told my friends at school, but many of them didn’t believe me. I had a radio show at the time in which we made up funny things to talk about and I guess they figured it was just another funny thing I made up.

But it was real. I had been attacked by a chicken in a Tennessee graveyard.

Sometimes things happen to you that are just plain weird. And sometimes people will not believe you.

It is the same when you tell people that one day the Lord will return and they just kind of look at you. He is not here now and they cannot see him nor imagine him coming, so the just figure you are being goofy. But you know it to be real because One you trust – the Lord himself – has told you. And you know him not to be false.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.