java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Thursday, August 16, 2012

daily java

Daily Java: 

When he finally came to his senses, he said to himself, ‘At home even the hired servants have food enough to spare, and here I am dying of hunger! I will go home to my father and say, “Father, I have sinned against both heaven and you, and I am no longer worthy of being called your son. Please take me on as a hired servant.” So he returned home to his father. And while he was still a long way off, his father saw him coming. Filled with love and compassion, he ran to his son, embraced him, and kissed him. His son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against both heaven and you, and I am no longer worthy of being called your son.’ But his father said to the servants, ‘Quick! Bring the finest robe in the house and put it on him. Get a ring for his finger and sandals for his feet. And kill the calf we have been fattening. We must celebrate with a feast, for this son of mine was dead and has now returned to life. He was lost, but now he is found.’ So the party began. (Luke 15:17-24)
Why do people do what they do? And if they do good things for another reason, say, fear, is it still a god thing. Does the motive have to match the act?

The son took all his father’s money and left and promptly threw it all away. Half of the money the old man had worked for and saved and was going to bless his sons with when he died was gone, wasted.

But when the son was completely flat broke, he was hungry. And he got to thinking about his father’s house where even the servants (at least in his mind) sat down to a banquet each night. They were never hungry, they were never cold, they were never alone. Even the servants were happy.

So he made a little speech which I believe he never really thought his father would require. But just in case, he asked if he could come back as a servant. After all, he had wasted his inheritance and had no right to what was left.

But his reason for doing so was not sorrow at hurting his father, nor was it guilt for hurting his brother or his family. It wasn’t even really a desire to make things right.

The reason he wanted to come back was that he was hungry. That’s really about it.

However, the father really didn’t care what his motive for coming back was. He just wanted his son back. The son came in with his little speech and the father brushed it aside and said in effect, “Nonsense, you were never not my son. And you are more than welcome to come home.”

That was all. No long period of probation, no plan of restitution, no punishment. He didn’t make the son become a servant and gradually, after his trust was restored, he could move into an associate sonship, then after many years of faithful service and all, he could once more become a son.

No. he just said, “My son is back and let’s celebrate.”

Were there repercussions? Probably. The other brother was mad that he got taken back so easily. He felt there ought to be a probationary period or something. And the son had, after all, spent his inheritance. It could even have been that the older brother was mad that it had all been so easy for his brother to just take off, bust himself and come back. He may have never dreamed it would be that easy and was mad he hadn't thought of it himself.

But the overall reason the son came back was that he was hungry. That’s all. And the father accepted that reason.

I have come home in the past because I was hungry and lonely and I was accepted and loved. If people on earth could do that, how much more could God?

1 comment:

  1. John thank you for dropping by my blog. I am honored and I delighted to find yours. I am busy poking around it it right now.

    Shalom,
    Bobby Valentine

    ReplyDelete

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.