java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Monday, November 28, 2011

daily java

Daily Java:
I hate those with divided loyalties, but I love your instructions. (Psalm 119:113)
In the movie the Outlaw Josie Wales, there was a ferry operator that had to remain neutral between the two sides of  the Civil War. He made mention of the fact that he had to be able to sing Dixie and battle Hymn both with equal fervor. It just depended upon who was around him at the time: Rebels or Yankees.

People live their lives like that all the time. They try so hard to keep God in the center, yet also surround themselves with things that are against him. Their loyalties are divided.

In the Old Testament, the children of Israel, the chosen people of God, were like that. They worshipped God, but they also hedged their best by worshipping other gods too. They even made the Lord the head god, made him special and gave him preeminence over all the others.

But the Lord said that he was the only God. There were to be no others with him. With God, it was all or nothing.

Divided loyalties hurt. There is no room for compromise in service to God because he demands your all. He doesn’t want most, or your most important. He wants all.

Because of the divided loyalties, the Israelites were destroyed as a people.

We will be too, unless we give him our all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.