java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Friday, November 11, 2011

daily java

Daily Java:
But I will give repeated thanks to the Lord,
      praising him to everyone.
For he stands beside the needy,
      ready to save them from those who condemn them. (Psalm 109:30-31)
I still remember the first night I was in the army. All day long, people had hollered at us. We had flown to El Paso from Houston and gotten off the plane to what seemed like never-ending abuse. No suggestions, no comments – all orders, screamed it seemed at the top of well-exercised lungs.

One of the first orders of business was to get out heads shaved. The guys all were standing around with what was probably the most interesting assortment of tans I had ever seen. There were indications of sideburns and longer hair, mustaches, whatever. If it was hair on the head, it was gone.

Then we got uniforms, olive green cotton sateen shirts and pants, along with black boots, belts, caps, etc. also our dress greens, the dress up suit we wore for special stuff.

We went to our barracks and were assigned bunks.

As we were sitting, a guy came by that some of our group knew. He was wearing a full leg cast, having evidently broken his leg. He was proud. They were going to let him out. They figured that his recovery time would be so long, he would never get a chance to do anything so they discharged him.

In my fear, I suddenly saw an opening. If I could break my leg, I could get out of the horror. Because horror it was. I had never experienced anything remotely like this. It was as if we were prisoners and were treated abominably.

That night, I lie on my top bunk thinking now if I could just fall off, land on my knee, break it, I could go home.

Finally, in disgust for myself, I turned over and went to sleep.

Two years later, I got out.

When it comes down to it, we can do what we need to do. I needed to be a soldier, so I became one. I never was that good at it, since I do not meld into the group mind that well. But I did it. And I came out alright.

I could run, fast, and could do situps and pushups and walk with my hands hanging from something. I could shoot. In fact, I found out I was an expert marksman. I could crawl fast, I could go long periods of time without water (our basic was in the desert outside of El Paso). I could function fine.

And most of all, I could listen to idiots scream at me and take it, even though I knew they were inferior human beings. I could obey inane orders given by a guy who got stone drunk every night.

Once, an assistant drill instructor made me stand on my knees so I would know what it was like to be short. In my mind, however, I knew I wasn’t short. Rather I was standing on my knees in front of one who would never know what it was like to be tall in any way, who would hide behind assumed authority all his life and would probably never amount to anything.

It was a good experienced over all. Every young man needs to know, at some point in his life, that he is not the center of the universe. It makes him better as a person to know that he can subsume his personality into something else without dying.

I am glad I did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.