java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Monday, November 21, 2011

daily java

Daily Java: 
Enter his gates with thanksgiving; go into his courts with praise. Give thanks to him and praise his name. (Psalm 100:4)
And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father. (Colossians 3:17)
This week is Thanksgiving. It is hard to believe that it can already be here. And you can tell. A sure sign is that the Halloween stuff is gone and the Christmas stuff is up at the stores.

And it is a shame, because Thanksgiving is a holiday that should be imperative for people to celebrate. I guess the main problem is that there isn’t a Thanksgiving tree with Thanksgiving presents that we give to each other which are, handily enough, sold at the stores.

That is the problem. It just isn’t commercial enough. So it tends to be ignored.

And we ignore it at our peril. It is a stone fact that no one appreciates an ungrateful person. There is nothing worse than a kid that just takes things without any attitude of being grateful.

Someone called it the attitude of gratitude. And as trite as that sounds, it is absolutely true.

And you can imagine God as he views us in our ingratitude in life. We take all he gives to us and ignore the Source.

The word says to be thankful for everything. Of course, that is a little hard for the bad things, but I suppose you are grateful for them that they make you stronger. Sure, that’s it.

I used to ask my mother things, and she was a master at the quick answer. Once I asked her why God made mosquitoes. Her answer: so we will be grateful when they’re gone. Although it was a goofy answer, there is a lot of truth in that.

We should be known as a grateful people. I suppose that it is a mark of a lot of the demonstrations going on today in the US that those demonstrating are mad that they do not have more. They live in a country that is unbelievably blessed with a standard of living that is in the extreme top tier in the world and they are mad because it is not higher.

Yes, things are not as they should be, and I for one know that. But even so, we, as Christians (or representatives of the Lord Jesus as Paul called us), should be thankful.

And I try to be, even when things come short. I refuse to fall into the pattern of griping about what I do not have. I would like a motorcycle, but still I am grateful. Yes, I would be more grateful with a motorcycle and a new Martin guitar.

But I am grateful for what I have. I praise him and I praise his name. Thank you, Lord for your blessings and for Jesus. Make me grateful. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.