java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Saturday, December 18, 2010

daily java

Daily Java: For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)

I have been preparing the services for this Sunday. It will be our Christmas Sunday with several of the members doing stuff. There will be a couple of solos, some readings and one woman will do a sime. That is a combination of signing and miming and it is really quite pretty.

I have also been getting together things for Christmas Eve and the candle-light service. We do one every year and they are beautiful. We will serve communion, light all of the Advent candles, give everybody a candle and go out singing Silent Night.

I was raised in a denomination that didn’t believe in the Christian side of Christmas. I even pastored churches in it for 20 years. Oh, we had Santa Claus and a tree and all, sang Christmas carols – yet didn’t associate Christ with it. So I went to my first Christmas Eve service in 1992. I had not left that denomination yet, but I felt the need to go.

It was at Marvin Methodist in Tyler, TX and it was at Midnight. We got the kids together and went. It was absolutely beautiful. I had never been to anything like it. Afterwards, they served communion and I took the Lord’s Supper at another denomination for the first time in my life.

When we came out of the Church of Christ and into the Disciples of Christ, it came time for Christmas. I went all out. For the first time in my life, I was in a church that celebrated Christmas, complete with decorations and a tree and everything.

I carefully planned my first Christmas Eve service. It was well attended and it was a joy to me. we have had one every year since. It did amaze me though, that even though the next day, Christmas Day, was Sunday, people missed church to cook or get ready for company. In my wildest dreams I cannot imagine doing that.

I had planned a big blow out Sunday, and it was good. But the knowledge of people not being there for Christmas, of all things, blew me away.

That was 16 years ago. I have learned a lot since then. One thing I have learned is just because it seems like it will be special to me doesn’t mean it will be special to someone else. My values are different than others. For one thing, I will not miss church under any circumstances. Even when sick and unable to speak, I will still be there. And I surely wouldn’t miss Christmas or Easter, that is for certain.

I love the time of year and it has gone fast this year.. I am not sure why, but it seems like it was just Halloween and now it is the Sunday before Christmas. Fortunately, I have all my shopping done.

Although that is not the point of the season. But I still like to give Ella stuff and look for any reason to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.