java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Monday, December 13, 2010

daily java

Daily Java: For the Lord detests the perverse but takes the upright into his confidence. The Lord’s curse is on the house of the wicked, but he blesses the home of the righteous. He mocks proud mockers but shows favor to the humble and oppressed. The wise inherit honor, but fools get only shame. (Proverbs 3:32-35)

We were at the Golden Corral today for lunch. We don’t go out much so when we do, I always like to go to places where I know I will enjoy dinner. And Golden Corral has great catfish.

We got our plates full and sat down at one of my usual places – near the window. I like to look at both the room and outside at the same time. One of my personal peccadilloes.

After we had begun eating, the residents of the table next to us came back from getting their food. There were two younger women and one older man named Leo. The younger woman sitting next to Leo had to be one of the most offensive people I have had the displeasure to be seated next to in a long time.

By younger, I figure that they were in their early 30’s or so. It was this woman’s birthday today and Leo had taken her out for lunch.

She was loud and offensive and profane and generally the kind of person who grows old by herself and cannot figure out why.

She is the kind of person who watches Jersey Shore and Orange County Choppers and TV shows like this and thinks that this is the way normal people act. She was all round unpleasant.

And I felt sorry for her. In comparison to her, I felt downright cultured. I know that is a judgment call, but we talked softly of good things, while she offered Leo a trip to a strip club where she could give him a lap dance. Then told him she was kidding.

She started off by loudly proclaiming to the waitress that the Mexican food part of the bar was lousy and soggy. Then she told her listeners (who were many of those around her) how bad her day was using vulgar words.

She was indicative of so many today: filled with misinformation of how it is that we actually live and how it is that we talk.

I almost dread listening to young people talk at the mall when they are together and I come by. The army in the late 60’s, early 70’s didn’t sound that profane. And when so much of it comes from young women, it makes it (or at least to me it does) even worse.

I remember in high school, one guy had a foul mouth. But he never cursed in front of girls. A minor thing maybe, but an indication again of how our culture has changed.

I hate it. And there is nothing I can do. They left a few minutes before us. When they walked out, the whole atmosphere in the restaurant changed.

As they walked out, she crammed a wool cap down on her head and walked out in a weird swagger. In another setting, I would have considered her drunk, but I don’t think she was.

She was ugly. Not so much in appearance. She was not necessarily a troll-like person, but in manner and demeanor, she was ugly.

And Ella sitting across from me was beautiful. I suppose that anytime your wife is made more beautiful to you, you ought to be grateful.

But as she left, I prayed for her that she could receive grace and discernment, that God could come into her life.

What else do you do?

2 comments:

  1. I feel violated when that happens to me and I am sorry that happened to you and Ella. We are called to be salt and light. Hopefully you and Ella were just that and that she could not help but see God's grace in your faces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Brother John,
    I think you speak to her conscience. "Excuse me young lady, I couldn't help but over hear that today is your birthday and i wanted to wish you a happy birthday."
    She may have said thank you or get bent old man. I'm not sure which since I wasn't there. Based on what you described it may have been the second option.
    You could continue after her response.
    "Since it is your birthday, I wondered if you were a good person?"
    She will probably say that she is a good person.
    "Would you mind if I ask you a couple of questions to see if that is true?"
    Let's pray she says yes.
    "Have you ever told a lie? It doesn't matter when or the value of the item." She will have to answer yes.
    "What would that make you?" If she doesn't answer right away you could ask her what would she call you if you told a lie. You want her to say liar. If she stuggles and doesn't want to say it there is another option. "If you kill somebody what would you be? A murder right. And how many people do you have to kill to be a murderer? Yes only one. So how many lies to you have to tell to be a liar? Yes only one.
    "Have you ever hated anyone?"
    Let's assume she will say yes based on what you have told us about her.
    "God says that to hate someone is to have committed murder in your heart.
    Based on what you told me, you are a lying, theiving murder at heart. When you die you will have to face God on Judgement day. Does any of this bother you?"
    Her answer or comment.
    "God says that liars and theives will be thrown into the lake of fire (hell) and will not enter the kingdom of heaven. Does that concern you?

    Her answer: No because I am good enough to go to heaven.
    "Ok let's look at it this way. You are guilty of a terrible crime. Your bail is set at $100,000.00. You can't afford it. The judge looks at you and asks you if you have anything to say for yourself. You say, well judge I know I am guilty but I am a good person and you are a nice fair judge so i think you should let me go. Do you think the judge will just let you go?
    No
    "Ofcourse not, the judge may say that he is fair and that is why you will be punished for what you did. Much the same way God will judge each of us for our crimes or sins. Does this bother you at all?"
    If it doesn't she isn't ready to hear the good news about how Christ died for her to take the punishment for her sins. If it does concern her then continue on with the good news.

    In Christ,
    Scott Schaberg
    Fuquay Varina NC

    ReplyDelete

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.