java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Thursday, November 4, 2010

spiritual cataract surgery

I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. (Ephesians 1:18-19)

My eye was operated on this week. I had a really bad cataract and the doctor performed what to me seems to be a miracle. And what’s more, he does it 600 times a year or so. That is 2 or 3 a day with weekends off and vacations.

I was awake the whole time and watching. Since he taped my eyelid open, there was little choice. However, my eye was extremely dilated and there was a humongous light shining in my eye, so things were not very clear.

I did see him go into my eye though with a metal thing and pull some stuff out, and put a disk in. That I saw fairly clearly. The shape of the disk I remember well.

I had no anesthesia to put me to sleep, only topical anesthesia. So when I got through, I was my usual self.

Except for one thing. I can see out of that eye almost perfectly now. I have always been so near sighted that the eye was useless for anything other than fine print. It focused about 2 inches from my face. Beyond two inches, unless I had very thick lenses, I could not see.

But now I see 20/25 in that eye. I keep closing the other one and looking through it. It makes me amazed. And the light coming into that eye is so white. I have the beginnings of a cataract in the other eye, too and in comparison, everything has a off-white cast to it. Out of my right eye, it is a blue-white.

It is astonishing to me that a man can go to school long enough to learn how to stick a piece of metal into another man’s eye and fix it. It amazes me that the technology is even available.

I know. People have had cataract surgery for years, but this is my first and it is amazing.

I told him so, and the nurse said, don’t say too much. He’ll get the big head. I responded that I did not care. He did a great job and, after all, the word says the laborer is worthy of his hire.

If I could just do that as a pastor. Reach into people’s eyes and change them, make them see. God told Isaiah that when he preached to Israel that they would be ever hearing, but never understanding; be ever seeing, but never perceiving. (Isaiah 6:9). What a shame, to go through life, purposefully blind.

Spiritual cataract surgery. That would be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.