java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Monday, November 1, 2010

daily java

Daily Java: This is what the LORD says: "Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom
or the strong man boast of his strength or the rich man boast of his riches,
but let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me,
that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth,
for in these I delight," declares the LORD.
(Jeremiah 9:23-24)

I had my eye operated on today. I had a really bad cataract come up in my right eye. That is the eye that is virtually blind. It focused about 2 to 3 inches from my face. I used it to read fine print.

The operation only took less than an hour. My eye was open the entire time and I could watch him working on it. A strange sensation that is. I saw the scalpel come in and do stuff, I watched him pull out the old cataract and put in a new lens. I could see it all. It wasn’t distinct because my eye was extremely dilated and there was one of the surgical lights shining in my eye the whole time. ButI watched it.

When he got through, the eye was swollen and had a haze over it, like a film. As it cleared, it occurred to me that I could see out of that eye for the first time in my life. It is almost like wearing a contact in it.

Eye surgery gave me my sight. I don’t think I will have to wear glasses with it anymore. I no longer have the ability to read fine print with that eye. It has become a far sighted eye rather than a near sighted one and for fine print, I will have to use reading glasses.

However, I can read fine with the other eye. That is what I have done for years: worn a contact in the right eye to correct it for a distance and left the left eye unaided to read. It focuses about a reading glasses distance from my face, so that is perfect.

I see fine now. The right eye, though, sees better than the other in one way. It doesn’t have the brown film over it that the cataract gives. The light coming through it is almost a blue white. The other eye has the beginning of a cataract and it is slightly cream colored. The eye that had surgery is clear of any disfiguring aspect.

When we come to the Lord and allow him to work on us, we become clean. It is through nothing we can do. If left to us, we develop a cataract over our lives that discolors everything. God takes that cataract off and makes us clear.

I cannot brag about my eye as if I had done it. However, the doctor that did it, as good as he was, cannot operate on his own eye. He has to let someone else do it.

I asked him if he had ever had this surgery and he said no. He didn’t need it yet. I mentioned that it would be like a doctor who delivers lots of babies but would never do so himself because he was a man. He agreed.

It takes someone apart from yourself and is thoroughly skilled in the operation to do it.

In our lives, it takes God. We boast of him and his ability. Today, I boast of Dr Vondrak and his ability to fix my eye. In my life, I boast of God and his ability to make me whole. As great as he is, Dr Vondrak can only repair my eye.

The Lord can repair my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.