java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Saturday, November 6, 2010

an old friend

Consider how far you have fallen! (Revelation 2:5)

I had a really good friend a few years back. We had a great time together, but we lost touch with each other after a while. I tried to find out what happened to him, even to asking a mutual acquaintance. The mutual acquaintance refused to tell me where he was or anything about him.

When I got on Facebook, it wasn’t long before I found out that I could find all of the friends I had ever had. So I went trolling for his name. I found it. I also found his ex-wife.

He had divorced her and taken a homosexual lifestyle. I could tell because of the TV shows and such that he liked. His Facebook page was also extolling the virtues of the newly passed health care bill. He was glad because it covered pre-existing health issues. The more he wrote, the more I realized that he probably had AIDS. He was glad because it would be treated.

I didn’t even comment on his page. There was nothing to say. I just went back to mine.

It hurt more than I ever thought anything could hurt. We have had friends turn against us and do things to us in the name of Jesus, but I suppose I had kept our friendship in a special place in my heart. To see him having ruined his life and divorced a wonderful woman, left his kids behind – all that, just hurt. I really thought he was stronger than that..

Facebook has its fun side. It also has its problems. It tends to destroy memories.

Some of my great memories are still tied up with this guy.

He lived with us for a while until he got his job situation underway. We hit it off immediately. He had moved from somewhere else and needed a place to stay. We even had a birthday a day part.

We were driving home from church to his house one Sunday night. I had a 1977 Olds Delta 88 with a 350 engine. He had a 1976 Monte Carlo with the same engine. As we were driving, for some reason we began to race. We were driving fast. We screamed up to his house. I was the first one out of my car so I counted myself as the winner.

We argued a bit, laughing, when we both looked at our cars. Beside us sat our wives. They were fuming with anger. We were in trouble.

We visited them in LA when we came back to from Spokane. We went to Disneyland together and watched the Disneyland fireworks from his balcony.

He just decided to turn from God.

I miss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.