java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Thursday, November 11, 2010

being in the army

For almost 40 years, no one has ever mentioned anything in connection with my military service. It was just taken for granted. I think most former soldiers are like that. It was time to go and they did, not necessarily gladly but know their duty. In the past couple of years I have had positive comments on my military service more than in all the years before. It is a strange feeling, but good at the same time.

Like most young men of my day, I did not want to go. But I did. And accepted what came. I went to Germany. The next guy probably went to Vietnam. Luck of the draw literally. But I have always been glad I went. It paid for seminary and I have VA benefits now. And besides, I am glad I went. Guys who didn't know they have missed out on a shared experience of my generation.

It is one of those things that you are glad you did in retrospect. With my lack of self-esteem, I probably would have been apologizing right and left for not having gone into the service.

But I did. I did not do a great job as I was the inveterate rebel but at the same time, I went.

As bad as it could be at time, I hold good memories of the time  I was in uniform. For one thing I got the inestimable pleasure of marrying my beautiful wife, Ella. That alone was worth the time.

And I got to see Germany. I would probably not have had the chance otherwise to see something so different from America.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.