java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

daily java

Daily Java:  Then the voice that I had heard from heaven spoke to me once more: “Go, take the scroll that lies open in the hand of the angel who is standing on the sea and on the land.” So I went to the angel and asked him to give me the little scroll. He said to me, “Take it and eat it. It will turn your stomach sour, but ‘in your mouth it will be as sweet as honey.” I took the little scroll from the angel’s hand and ate it. It tasted as sweet as honey in my mouth, but when I had eaten it, my stomach turned sour. (Revelation 10:8-10)

It is a stone fact that it is easier to read the word of God than it is to do it.

When you read, you feel noble, like you are doing what you should do. it makes you feel good and close to God to read his word, especially if you do it every day. It is a good feeling.

You memorize it so that it will be with you at other times when you cannot stop and read. You study the original languages so you have better understanding of all the nuances of the verses. You are a “right handler” of the word, because you really care.

Then it comes time to put it into practice. There comes the hard part. It is a fat lot easier to read than to do.

That is why Hebrews 4 says that the word is like a two-edged sword. In fact it says, For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account. (Hebrews 4:12-13)

When read it is beautiful. When followed and applied it hurts. The word goes down beyond the literary into the practical. It stops preaching and starts meddling. It speaks not just to actions, but to motives. And any time you start examining motives, you have trouble.

I was just reading this morning in Ezekiel 3. It says: And he said to me, “Son of man, eat what is before you, eat this scroll; then go and speak to the house of Israel.” 2 So I opened my mouth, and he gave me the scroll to eat. Then he said to me, “Son of man, eat this scroll I am giving you and fill your stomach with it.” So I ate it, and it tasted as sweet as honey in my mouth. (Ezekiel 3:1-2)

As God sends Ezekiel towards his ministry to a group of people who will not listen to him, he gives him what he needs: his word, or the knowledge of his presence. He says eat it. Like Jesus talking about his body and blood in John 6, we have to take it into us and make it part of us.

He eats it. It tasted great, but I would imagine that like John in Revelation, it landed hard. After all he was going to go to a group of people that just plain didn’t want to hear what was in the scroll.

That is just like the Bible when we read it. It reads pretty, but it hurts to apply. After all, we have to set ourselves aside when God talks.

I am convinced that so many love the old King James Version primarily because it just sounds so good. But the words and the language are so archaic that it doesn’t sound like something we can really understand, so we just enjoy the flow of words. It is all sweet and no bitter.

But the whole package has to be there. Unless we do it all, take the bitter with the sweet, we can have no part with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.