java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Friday, April 2, 2010

the seven last words of Jesus

THE SEVEN LAST WORDS OF JESUS

Response: Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing. Luke 23: 34
Jesus realized that they thought they were doing religion the normal way. They didn’t realize the enormity of what they were doing.

Redemption: I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise. Luke 23: 43
Jesus has the ability to transform a life in a heartbeat. There is no second work of grace. We become holy when Jesus makes us holy.

Responsibility: Dear woman, here is your son, … Here is your mother. John 19: 26-7
Even though he was dying, he still took time to care for his mother.

Rejection: Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? – which means, My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Mark 15: 34
God forsook Jesus because he was sin. He became sin, who knew no sin. God had to turn from him.

Reaction: I am thirsty. John 19: 28
In the midst of it all, Jesus was thirsty. Such an innocuous comment in the light of all the other things he said.

Result: It is finished. John 19:30
He had done what he came to do. The sacrifice that had been foreordained from before the foundation of the world was made.

Reliance: Father, into your hands I commit my spirit. Luke 23:46
Even though he didn’t want to die, he knew that God was with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.