java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Friday, April 23, 2010

preaching tothe whole congregation

I've preached you to the whole congregation,
  I've kept back nothing, God—you know that.
I didn't keep the news of your ways
  a secret, didn't keep it to myself.
I told it all, how dependable you are, how thorough.
  I didn't hold back pieces of love and truth
For myself alone. I told it all,
  let the congregation know the whole story.
(Psalm 40:9-10)
 
I have always tried to preach the whole counsel of God. I have told my churches what God wanted me to tell them. The problem is that it is rarely ever accepted.
 
People really do not want to hear what God has to say. They want to hear what they think God has to say.   

There is a big difference in the two.
 
One is the will of God manifest to people. It is his word, and his plan for their lives, his instruction, the two-edged sword piercing into the heart.

That is not always welcomed.

The other is what people feel or want God to say to them. Most of the “words” from God in public assembly are like this: mostly stroking and gratification.

In the Old Testament, words from God were strong and usually dealt with people getting the fire slapped out of them if they persisted in disobeying God. You very rarely heard of one that was encouraging at he level that so many today are.

The preacher’s job is to make sure the people hear the word of God whether they want to hear it or not, the whole story.
 
As God told Isaiah in Isaiah 6:8-10:
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
  And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
He said, "Go and tell this people:
  " 'Be ever hearing, but never understanding;
  be ever seeing, but never perceiving.'
Make the heart of this people calloused;
  make their ears dull
  and close their eyes.
Otherwise they might see with their eyes,
  hear with their ears,
  understand with their hearts,
  and turn and be healed."
God knew they wouldn’t want to listen, but Isaiah told them anyway.
 
Let me be the same. Here I am, send me. I will go where you want me to go and do what you want me to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.