java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

a grammatical gripe

I don’t often gripe as such on this blog, but I have noticed so much bad grammar on the internet. It isn’t just in places like this one – just an ordinary guy’s blog. It is in places like newspaper reporting and such.

Much of it has to do with misspelled words that no one has caught. It seems there is no proofreading anymore. There instead of their, you instead of your, things like that.

I am buy no means a professional grammarian, but I notice misspelled words. It is almost a  disease with me. I always find them.

When I do, it takes away from what is said. Enough of them, and my respect for the veracity and ability of the writer. One of my favorite writers, who admittedly churns out a lot of writing every day does this a lot.

To me this says, I don’t care enough to check my stuff and make sure it is correct. If the grammar is wrong enough, it says that maybe the other stuff is too.

This is a small point, I know. It is also probably overly-picky. It is, however, my own opinion and I am drinking coffee while I am writing it.

So there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.