java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Friday, November 16, 2012

daily java

Daily Java:
He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name. (Psalm 23:3)
I just read this article about obstacle courses as fun, it was somewhere in Pennsylvania but I have this feeling it is more places than that. Goofiness is universal.

I remember in basic training in the army when they made us go through obstacle courses. I hated it. It was not fun. We had a guy whose sole job was to holler at us and humiliate us who followed us all the way through the obstacle courses.

I did not have a good time.

I really do not know how people can have a good time doing this, much less pay good money to do this.

But then again, a lot of people have a lot of good money that they cannot seem to get rid of fast enough. I could never understand that either, not having any real surplus of money myself.

But the idea of doing something that I had to do by act of Congress and then paying for it is just a lot for me to consider. After all, I would never have voluntarily gone through basic  training in the first place, much less an obstacle course.

Running while someone shot at you, climbing tall things, hanging from your fingertips over a ravine with spikes at the bottom, low crawling under barbed wire. These were not fun things.

Yes there were upsides to basic training. I was fit. I could do 100 pushups and no telling how many sit-ups. I was in great shape and I liked that. On our honeymoon, I looked like a god.

Maybe not that great, but I sure looked good. 6’3”, 190 pounds, good shoulders, a six pack of abs. It was fun.

On the other hand, I was only in great shape because if I had not been, I would have gone to jail as a draft resister. So there was no contest. I did it and I shut up.

But to pay to do it. That is what boggles my mind.

I guess there comes a  point when you have to come to grips with the fact that you have missed out on something. And I guess these guys feel they have missed out on the army experience and want to do those things they missed out on.

Which is okay, I guess. It is just weird that they would pay good money to do what I had to do as a soldier.

Of course, lots of things amaze me so I guess this is not any different.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.