java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Monday, November 12, 2012

daily java

Daily Java:
So we live in the face of death, but this has resulted in eternal life for you. But we continue to preach because we have the same kind of faith the psalmist had when he said, “I believed in God, so I spoke.” We know that God, who raised the Lord Jesus, will also raise us with Jesus and present us to himself together with you. (2 Corinthians 4:12-14)
I am at the end of my first Sunday as a pastor again. It was a good day, although it was kind of a short experience. Bible Class began at 9:00 and church at 10:00. I led praise and worship and gave the communion devotional, in addition to the sermon. I spoke on “I Believe in the Church.” I didn’t get finished so I will continue next week. There was a potluck afterwards with more food than you could imagine.

It was a good experience. And it was one I thought I would never have again. I figured that I would become an interim pastor maybe for dying churches. But I really didn’t think God would find a place to use me again as a pastor.

The people in Longton are excited to have me. they seem so pleased that I have agreed to come here. I think they have despaired of finding someone that went with their mindset. They are a blend of Christian Church and Assembly of God, so they are a bit different. As am I.

This is not the place I ever dreamed of being, a town of 350. But two things led me here as confirmations. One was the fact that I had to get new tires and the odd size my van takes was available for what I could spend. The other is that the church, for the first time in its history, voted unanimously for me to come.

With those two things I knew God wanted me here. And I feel called here. I am not sure Ella does yet, but she is called to be with me, so she goes with me wherever I go. So she is here too.

I do not have the slightest idea what I will do, but for the present I am listening. I listen to people and hear what they think, what they want.

It does seem that I will become the town pastor. The Methodists do not have enough to have a full time pastor and no one seems to know the Baptist pastor. His church is also tiny. There is also a small group of Christadelphians here, a group about which I know little. That pretty much leaves me.

There is no outreach to the teens. Any outreach in the past was made by this church, so it will up to me to engineer one.

I look forward to what the Lord has in mind for me here. I will do whatever is needed to fulfill my ministry. I want to stay here the rest of my life. I want to know these people and love them. I want them to love me. I want to show them the grace of God that is in my life. I want to glorify God in my life to them.

May the Lord bless my ministry and keep us safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.