java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Saturday, December 31, 2011

new year's resolutions

I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us. (Philippians 3:13-14)
Okay. So you are going to make your New Year’s Resolutions. You want to be better this year so what are you going to do?

There are those who say they make no resolutions. But resolutions are good and have a place in your life. When you make them, you are saying that you want to be better.

You can get goofy with them, of course. Resolving to lose 125 pounds in 2012, or becoming fluent in Russian or becoming independently wealthy or going to live in the space station. There are some things you probably will not do.

But really, resolutions are your own desire to be better. And you need them.

Otherwise you are just floating along through life with no real destination, no course charted.

You need some direction.

This year I want to accomplish these things:

1. I want to fast and pray more. Back when I fasted regularly, I had a better relationship with God in most ways. I want that again and I need his direction in my life. Fasting is not easy, but there is great power in it.

2. I need to get back in shape. I have really let myself go and need to feel better. I know I will never be the bull I was when I was younger (back when I could pick up refrigerators, tear telephone books in half, jump over tall buildings, etc) (I did see a t-shirt once that said, “The older I get, the better I was”) but I can still be an effective servant of God physically.

3. I need to read more good stuff. I tend to read a lot of books anyway, but here lately, I have gotten into a western kick and have read a lot of Louis L’Amours and stuff like that. I need to read better things, things that build me mentally.

4. I need to dump some things that have happened to me and re-find my ministry. It took an odd turn this year and I still feel the draw of God as a pastor. I am going to have to find what God wants this year. He has called me. now I have to listen.

Join me. if you are interested in fasting with me, tell me. We can have an online prayer and fasting time.

But you have a chance to be better. And you need to take it. Press on in 2012 and know God more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.