java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Monday, December 26, 2011

four things I do not understand

There are three things that amaze me—
  no, four things that I don’t understand:
how an eagle glides through the sky,
   how a snake slithers on a rock,
      how a ship navigates the ocean,
         how a man loves a woman. (Proverbs 30:18-19)
It is the funniest thing to see. A boy falls in love for the first time. And when he does, his whole life is changed.

At the same time, falling in love is so strange. A guy looks at a lot of women and, while they may be alluring, interesting, fill him with lust, etc, he does not fall in love until he sees the one.

My son had a girlfriend and one of his friends remarked that she was not his type of girl. His answer: your type of girl really doesn’t matter when you meet the one you want to marry.

Good answer. And absolutely true.

The moment I met the girl that I would one day marry, I loved her. or at least I saw in her the potential for me to love her. She was standing in the midst of a group of girls that were, quite frankly better looking – and would have been available to the right guy – but it was her that attracted me.

How? I do not know. What makes a guy fall in love with a girl anyway? What is the chemistry?

I remember a guy I knew who was in a musical, My Fair Lady. He had several scenes, of course, with the leading lady. However, at one point she walked out on stage from a staircase. And he was smitten. Why not before? He had been with her for a long time. Why not before he saw here there?

A guy and girl are friends for twenty years and then one day look at each other and realize they love each other. Why then? Why not before?

Out of all the girls in the world, I picked Ella. I was a man about town, an interesting character. I could have had my pick of a lot of girls. It was not that I was smashingly handsome or anything, but I was older and had a good job and a car that ran and dressed well and was witty. (I knew I would never be handsome so I tried to become interesting.) But out of all these girls, Ella caught my eye.

My father-in-law waited ten years for my mother-in-law to grow up so he could marry her. why? Why not any of the other girls?

When that boy falls in love, he passes out of one phase of life into another. And he changes.

I had girlfriends and dates and kissed girls and all. But until I met Ella, I had never been serious about a girl. It was not necessarily that I didn’t want to be, but she was the one that activated the serious gene.

And so it has been. It is not that I have not noticed other women, but I decided at the age of 19 to pledge my life to this one. And I married her at the age of 21.

Our marriage has not been without rocky times, mostly due to me. But she was the one I would stay with and love.

And now that she is disabled, I promise her at least once a week that I will be with her and take care of her until one of us dies.

However it works, I love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.