java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Monday, July 18, 2011

daily java

Daily Java:
Heaven and earth will disappear, but my words will never disappear. (Matthew 24:35)
We look for permanence in the midst of a disposable society.

It is amazing how many things we throw away. You don’t see shoe repairs anymore, even though shoes are pretty expensive. We throw them away when they wear. Clothing tears and it is in the trash. Our electronics are incapable of being repaired so if something happens, out in the trash. It is even easier to get divorced than to work on our marriage relationship.

But in the midst of all this temporariness, we are looking for permanence. We are looking for something that lasts, something that has some substance.

God is a permanent God. He is not a fad. He will always be with us and his words will always be able to guide us. The old Indian saying that the only thing that lasts is the earth and the sky is not true. One day they will be gone. The only thing of any real permanence, any real substance is God and his words.

When you follow God, you get that in your life which will not change, which will not die. It will not change according to fashion or fad, it will not become less when people don’t like it. It will stay forever.

Even in death it stays. When his friend Lazarus had died, Lazarus’ sisters, Mary and Martha, hinted to Jesus that if he had wanted, he could have stopped it. Jesus’ reply: I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying. Everyone who lives in me and believes in me will never ever die. Do you believe this, Martha? Is this permanence in your life, Martha?

No one is disposable in God’s sight. He may not use you as an example of his power as he did Lazarus, raising you from the dead. But his love and his power is permanent in your life.

He will always be there, even if  you cannot necessarily feel him. Everything else will go, but what he said is permanent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.