java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Friday, May 14, 2010

the problem of pain

My wife just fell down and hurt herself again. She has a big cut on her leg where she hit the edge of the pavement.

There is no reason for it and it makes me angry.

Someone said that there is a reason for everything, that God has a purpose for everything happening.

In the literal Hebrew, that is called Baloney.

Sometimes thing happen for no good reason. The only real reason they happen is because sin came into the world and with it came pain.

There is no good reason that Ella is in pain from her leg injury, anymore than there was for any one of the other injuries caused by her falling.

And it makes me mad that she has to go through this.

God could change it if he wanted. He could make a sovereign move and heal her of her MS and make it easier for her to walk and not be in constant pain from these stupid injuries.

But he doesn’t.

CS Lewis, the guy wrote the Lion, Witch and Wardrobe also wrote a book on the Problem of Pain. How can a loving and merciful God allow pain?

And that is a good question, too. The problem, though, is that the answer is not so easy

Sure, he could take away pain, but to do so, he would have to take away pleasure. We won’t have that until we get to heaven, according to the book of Revelations.

So while we are here, we put up with it, knowing that a better time is coming.

That is not always real comforting when I see my wife with bruises and cuts.

But the funny thing is, she still looks cheerful even when it hurts. I would want to hit someone, but she is cheerful. She is one who looks to the day when all pain is gone, all tears will be wiped away. And she loves her God.

There is no purpose, but God is still good. And he can use whatever happens to you to make something better. Just as he has in Ella.

He will do the same for you, if you will let him into your heart and allow him access. He can make the bad good and the unpleasant pleasant.

After all, he is God and he is in control. And he is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.