java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

daily java

Daily Java: My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry (James 1:19).

Most problems in a church go back to being too quick to talk and too slow to listen. If we were quicker to listen, we wouldn’t get in so much trouble. Nothing is worse than a quick tongue and it is hard to take back words said carelessly. And little damages the kingdom more.

I guess that has been one of the biggest problems in my own life. About the time I think I have it under control, I will say something goofy. While I wish I could bring it back, I can’t.

I have gotten better as I have gotten older, but I still cannot seem to get rid of it. It is, to me, a thorn in the flesh.

Add to that the fact that I can say things that are truly off the wall, and usually do it during stress periods, it just makes it worse. As I told someone the other day, it was only the fact that I was as big as I am that saved me when I was younger.

It is something I hate, but it is true. It is, as James says in another place, easier to control anything in the world more than your tongue.

I don’t get angry like I used to. That is good, but of course, the apostle Paul said to take heed when you stand, lest you fall. So nothing to brag about.

But the quick speaking I hate. May God give me strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.