java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Thursday, May 27, 2010

daily java

Daily Java: However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me – the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace.- Acts 20:24.

I wrote on my Facebook page this week that it was easier to turn 60 than to stay 60. And that I didn’t really want to be 61.

By that I meant that I find it a surprise that I am at this age so early. I was not ready to leave my youth.

For one thing, I was not through with what I was doing.

People are retiring at this age and I am just beginning in this denomination. And I feel it.

What was surprising was the posts by others that followed. One fellow said that I was an inspiration and that I gave hope to him.

Another said, “ I'm sure John will pastor until he has fought the good fight & finished the course! Proud to know you brother!”

And then when I went to do the Scripture of the Day on the church’s Facebook page, there was Acts 20:24.

It was like the quiet voice of God saying the same thing that one of the posters on Facebook said to me.

And I needed it pretty badly.

It is funny how the Lord comes through with the message when you need it, to let you know, in a quiet way, that you are going right.

No great voices from heaven, no angels with flaming swords and flaming scrolls from heaven. Just a quiet scripture “randomly selected” by the Bible Gateway people.

Just the comfort I needed.

When it comes down to it, every pastor wants nothing more than to testify of the gospel of God’s grace. Out of all the pastors I have known in my 36 years of ministry, I have only known maybe 2 or 3 that I could truly say that they were in it for something other than what that scripture says.

All of the others were driven by the knowledge of the grace of God and the mandate of preaching the word.

As the apostle Paul said in 1 Corinthians 9:16, Yet when I preach the gospel, I cannot boast, for I am compelled to preach. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!

It is our life, our mission, our mandate, our very existence. And we pray that we are not taken until we have done so adequately.

Praise God for his selection of me, as weak and frail and full of sin as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.