java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Sunday, December 23, 2012

daily java

Daily Java:
A peaceful heart leads to a healthy body; jealousy is like cancer in the bones. (Proverbs 14:30)
I found out Wednesday that I have cancer of the esophagus. It is fairly advanced and it is what has been causing me difficulty in swallowing .

There is a mass 2 inches in length and 2 inches around that is completely blocking the entrance to my stomach.

On the bad side, I have not been able to eat for a while. On the good side, I have lost 50 pounds in the past three months. Hard diet though.

It is stage three so I will have to begin chemotherapy before the doctor can remove it. The prognosis is good for me.

In the meantime, he placed a stent between the entrance to my stomach and the end of the esophagus so I can eat. For the two or three days before I went in, I was not even able to drink water.

This changes things in my life considerably. I have never been really sick, except for pneumonia 25 years ago and a gall bladder attack in 1997. Otherwise, I have been in great health. This is only the second time in a hospital for me, so it is a little hard to complain.

Someone asked me how I felt about it. My answer: I feel a great deal of peace. I know that God is with me and I know that he will take care of me. The passage from John 11 also comes to mind. I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying. Everyone who lives in me and believes in me will never ever die.

That is how I feel.

I told my church about it this morning during my sermon. Since I was talking about peace, it seemed fitting. 
They had been wondering about it and some suspected it. And they are good people who care about me.

Will I die? Yes. In forty or fifty years I will be dead as a hammer. Maybe this will kill me, probably not. An awful lot of people recover from worse cancer.

Do I like it? No. I hate it, because it is an invasion of my body.

But it is not the end of the world. That will come when God decides to come again. And while I consider myself to be the center of the universe (as does everybody), my living or dying will not tremendously affect the world.

I do know that God did not send this, nor is it his will. God does not send bad things.

Sometimes things happen for which there is no purpose. Look at the book of Job. But I know that he will use it if I allow him to his glory and that is fine with me.

I praise his name in my life and even will in my death.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.