java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Sunday, December 16, 2012

daily java

Daily Java:  
That night there were shepherds staying in the fields nearby, guarding their flocks of sheep. Suddenly, an angel of the Lord appeared among them, and the radiance of the Lord’s glory surrounded them. They were terrified, but the angel reassured them. “Don’t be afraid!” he said. “I bring you good news that will bring great joy to all people. The Savior—yes, the Messiah, the Lord—has been born today in Bethlehem, the city of David! And you will recognize him by this sign: You will find a baby wrapped snugly in strips of cloth, lying in a manger.” (Luke 2:8-12)
 Today is the third Sunday of Advent, the Sunday of Joy. We have talked about hope and love. Today we talk about joy.

Joy is a strange thing. Some have it even in the middle of a lot of problems; some never have it in spite of having a good life. And it is easy to lose your joy and hard sometimes to get it back. On the other hand, sometimes joy just washes over you for no reason.

My wife always has a smile, for me or for others. She has the joy. I tend to be overly-analytical and get depressed. But on occasions (not enough times in my estimation) I will be overcome with a feeling of almost absolute happiness.

That was one of the purposes of the gospel: to bring joy. When Jesus came, he came to bring joy, as well as hope and love and peace. He didn't come to bring new rules or regulations, he didn't come just to bring a purpose and meaning in life – although he did bring that. He didn't come to make the “saints cry” as Billy Joel sang.

He came to bring to humanity a new mindset, a new heart, a new attitude, a new life. And the bringing of that new life is what brings joy.

Joy isn't happy-faces, smiling fools, people with large red smiley lips. Joy is a mindset. It goes deeper. Joy says that no matter what else happens, God loves me. No matter what else happens, there is Someone who is concerned enough for me that he died for me. And it says that there is nothing in this world or in the world beyond that can take that joy.

Now you can lose it. When you let yourself get burdened down with stuff – problems, anger, bitterness, despair – you can lose that joy. Those things are hard to coexist with joy.

But it is also not to say that just because you experience those feelings that God has moved out. Those are problems that are common to all humanity. It just means that those things will not rule you. The love of God will rule you. And joy will be the result.

Psalm 30:5 says Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Sooner or later you come back to the joy of the Lord, that which gives you strength. Joy is built in to Christians if they will but tap it.

Joyeux Noel. Pardon my French. Joy is the whole point of Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.