java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

end of day two of my three day fast

Come quickly, Lord, and answer me,
      for my depression deepens.
   Don’t turn away from me,
      or I will die.
Let me hear of your unfailing love each morning,
      for I am trusting you.
   Show me where to walk,
      for I give myself to you.
Rescue me from my enemies, Lord;
      I run to you to hide me.
Teach me to do your will,
      for you are my God.
   May your gracious Spirit lead me forward
      on a firm footing.
For the glory of your name, O Lord, preserve my life.
      Because of your faithfulness, bring me out of this distress.
In your unfailing love, silence all my enemies
      and destroy all my foes,
      for I am your servant. (Psalm 143:7-12)
It is the end of day two of my three day fast. I am hungry, but that is to be figured on. I am however, not dying of hunger. It will be good to get something to eat Thursday, but I can wait. I would rather hear from God than eat.

As I have said before, fasting gives you an odd perspective on things. You see things a little differently when you haven’t eaten in a couple of days. It is not that you are starving or anything. I was getting pretty hungry last February when I went on that 21 day fast. But two days? No.

But it does change your outlook on things. After all, not eating is not normal. it is built into people to eat. So when you deny that basic thing, that basic need, you are doing something that is kind of strange.

But you do it for a reason. And I want to hear God.

Father God, hear me. Accept my offering of this fast and answer my prayers. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.