java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

i got a letter today

Like a cool drink of water when you're worn out and weary is a letter from a long-lost friend. (Proverbs 25:24-26 The Message)
I got a letter today. It as quite a long one and, wonder of wonders, it was hand written. An old friend wrote me to tell me of her life with her husband’s new diabetes and dialysis adventures.

It was almost a shock. It was, as I said, hand written in purple ink. I have not received a hand written letter – for that matter a personal letter that was not business related – in years.

It was a joy to read. It was like a time capsule.

I have been reading on line that letters are just about passe. Kids can text like mad, but never even write notes. In fact, I have been reading that many kids are virtually illiterate. The vast majority cannot read cursive at all, and have trouble even with printing. Kind of pathetic.

I worry for our future generation. They are growing up without the basic necessities for passing on anything to their children. The music that is around today will not endure, the novels are graphic novels (long comic books), the letters that are read again and again are missing, the pictures are files on a computer.

In just a few years, there will be a great void. No music, no literature, no pictures. What will be?

In my mind I see a group of vastly overweight people hooked up to machines that entertain them 24/7. Kind of like the people on Wall-E that were on the spaceship. Barely able even to move, things available to them at a move of their hands, no exercise, no mental activity. Nothing.

A depressing picture. And one that is put in my mind by a handwritten letter from an old friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.