java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

daily java

Daily Java:
All these men were under the direction of their fathers as they made music at the house of the Lord. Their responsibilities included the playing of cymbals, harps, and lyres at the house of God. Asaph, Jeduthun, and Heman reported directly to the king. They and their families were all trained in making music before the Lord, and each of them—288 in all—was an accomplished musician. The musicians were appointed to their term of service by means of sacred lots, without regard to whether they were young or old, teacher or student. (1 Chronicles 25:6-8)
Talk about a house band. This was the house band at the tabernacle when David was King.

When we were first baptized in the Spirit, we were looking for a church to go to during the week. I was pastoring a Disciples of Christ church in NW Missouri, but we wanted to find a place with a service during the week.

I called a church in St Joseph, MO, about 60 miles away, to ask him about their church. He told me several things, then he said the kicker. “We have blow-your-face-off music.”

I told Ella, I have to hear this. And they did.

They had a professional sounding band that played Petra-style rock and roll for their worship. Petra, of course, was a very popular Christian band at the time. This band played along that style and they were good.

We went to their Friday night service almost every week for a while. And it amazed me that you could have that many talented musicians in one church.

Of course, it was a big church, 1400 at the time. The musicians, for the most part, were on the staff so that they could go with the pastor when he went to other countries and the like.

But when I read this, I thought of them.

It has always been my dream to have a band that is good. I even have a name for it. LOP. Loud Obnoxious Praise. It is my firm conviction that good praise be energetic. After all, who wants tepid singing.

These people, here in 1 Chronicles 25, were praise teams and worship leaders. All were accomplished musicians and they played in twenty-four bands of twelve musicians. They made music at the house of the Lord. Probably, they sang scripture, psalms David had written, maybe just jammed for a while each day.

But one thing for sure, they sounded good.

And I would venture to say they were happy.

I believe the musical talent is a call from God. When one answers that call in God, the musician is happy. When he or she doesn’t, they are not, no matter how financially well off and successful they may be.

Think of all the talented musicians that have self-destructed. In my own generation, there was Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, others. Later there were people like Kurt Cobain and more. If they do not die from their excess, they soon become so burned out that they are almost unrecognizable, so bitter, so jaded.

It is because they are taking something that is holy and making it for other purposes. As the old song by Dire Straits with the phrase, “Money for nothin' and your chicks for free.”

When it is all about you, it soon becomes worthless. And the singers are always looking for a charity or something that they can do. And they never find the comfort of something greater than they are.

When it is about God, it is for something greater than you.

These people in 1 Chronicles were serving the greatest person in the universe: the Almighty God.

What a life, just singing all day, playing your instruments, praising.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.