java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Saturday, May 28, 2011

daily java

Daily Java:
Sometimes people say, “Here is something new!” But actually it is old; nothing is ever truly new. We don’t remember what happened in the past, and in future generations, no one will remember what we are doing now. (Ecclesiastes 1:10-12 NLT)
It was 1969 and I was flying high in life. I had a good job with the telephone company in Houston, Texas. I had a car, a nice little apartment, friends and above all, a good looking girlfriend (who I married).

Then in July, WHAM! I was drafted into the army.

I didn’t want to go. I was having a good time. But the government elves saw that and put in the order for me to be drafted.

As it turned out, my country didn’t really need me. The war in Vietnam was de-escalating, and there was a surplus of soldiers.

However, I went. And I have to admit, I was always glad I did.

When I got out of the army, it was the fashion to disparage the soldiers for their service, to make fun of them, even to call them names. Sometimes just to ignore them.

It is only in the last few years, ten years or so, since 9/11, that people have begun to thank servicemen for their sacrifice.

And it was a sacrifice. We gave up two years of productive time in our lives. There was the chance of losing not only your life, but also your girlfriend. There was a guy back home named Jody who was 4F. The drill sergeants and others reminded us of him daily. He was stealing our girls while we were doing our service.

We all worried about him, and vowed to do the little creep a great deal of physical harm when we got out, if in fact he had taken our girl. Maybe even on general principles.

But mine waited for me, and we even got married six months before I got out so she could come back to Germany with me.

But the point is (somewhere in all this verbiage) that it is good to be remembered.

I rediscovered the Lord in the army. I had a great European honeymoon in the army. I learned about electronics in the army. If nothing else, I joined a world-wide fraternity of those who had served in the army. I also became one of the men that had served his country for thousands of years. And those throughout history who worried about losing our girls.

I didn’t do great things, or shoot anybody, or win massive amounts of medals. But I served my country. And I am glad for it.

We’re all part of that army of the Lord, and we all serve him. When we do, and when we die and go to be with him, we become part of that cloud of witnesses Hebrews 12 talks about. And people remember that we served, just as people have served God for millennia.

I’m in the Lord’s army, yes sir. And I serve a risen Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.