java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

daily java

Daily Java:
But even as Jesus said this, a crowd approached, led by Judas, one of the twelve disciples. Judas walked over to Jesus to greet him with a kiss. But Jesus said, “Judas, would you betray the Son of Man with a kiss?” (Luke 22:47-49)
What an exquisite pain, to be betrayed by a gesture of affection.

To give a kiss on the beard was a sign of respect and affection given by a man to his mentor. It was really no big thing, just kind of like a quick hug or a handshake.

But it became a sign of betrayal. When we think of betrayal in the Bible, we usually think of Judas. When we think of gestures of betrayal, we think of the kiss he gave Jesus.

Judas’ legacy was betrayal and to ruin, at least in our minds, the kiss one gave as respect. When I think of the kiss, I always see pain and death following.

When I see my son, I usually hug him and give him a kiss on his neck while I am doing it. When you pick up your child or grandchild, you usually kiss them, maybe on the cheek. When you are with your wife, you usually kiss her.

But to use it as a mark of identification of one who is to die. To kiss your wife to show someone who she was so they could hurt her. To kiss your children to show the police who they are.

And Jesus’ comment, with a kiss? I think Jesus was surprised that it was this way. he knew Judas was coming back, but to betray him with a kiss, the very thing he had used when they were friends, the mark of respect he had given Jesus?

How it hurts when someone uses something that is familiar with which to turn on you.

I knew a man who came over to talk a lot. One day he said he wanted to come over and talk to me. He had done it a lot of times.

But this time, he came in all smiles, shook my hand, I gave him a cup of coffee. And then he launched into a diatribe about something that someone had told me and began to attack my whole character.

I was stunned. I could understand his concern – although it was based on someone else’s fantasy – but to use the same expressions to get me to come down to the church, and to drink my coffee while he was doing it, was truly shocking.

It wasn’t the last time something like that happened. And for someone to use an expression that was familiar to the both of you, and to accept your hospitality while planning it, that is disgusting.

Before Judas came, he sat with Jesus and had supper. He probably laughed (as well as he could) with the other guys at a joke, maybe participated in a toast, bowed his head at the prayer – all that. And all the while he was planning for the time when he could leave and get the money to betray Jesus.

One of the times that I cried was over a friend who betrayed me, stole from me, lied to me. He was one that I considered one of my best friends.

And it happens. It happened to Jesus and it happened to me and it happens to a lot of people.

It will continue to happen, too, until we all go to be with God in glory.

And any time you accept anyone’s hospitality, drink someone’s coffee and eat someone’s food while you are planning to do wrong to them, you are put in the same shoes as Judas. You are pretty sorry.

Jesus suffered for it and came through it. Judas suffered for it and died.

I would rather be like Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.