java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

WWJD

Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us." Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. (John 14:8-10)

WWJD. It got a lot of attention paid to it a few years ago.

A lot of people used it and overused it and it got on a lot of products and made people some money. It even got tiresome seeing after a while.

Only one thing, though. It was absolutely true.

And the way the devil makes something irrelevant to us is to make it commonplace.

We saw WWJD so much it became commonplace and lost its edge. Before long we saw all kinds of variations, WWJB (who would Jesus bomb – talking about the war), WWJD (what would Jesus drive – talking about electric cars) WW other people’s initials D, all kinds of trash, all piggybacking on this little abbreviation.

After a while, it became almost embarrassing, it had been used so much.

But it was still true.

Jesus was the manifestation of God in human form. In Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form said Colossians 2:9. When we saw Jesus, we saw God. When Jesus did stuff, it was like God doing that stuff himself.

Jesus came to show us how God would act if he were a real person instead of a Great Spirit in the Sky.

And it stands to reason that if we are Christ followers, we are going to do our level best to be like him. Everything we do should be governed by what he would do.

It is like Peter walking on water in Matthew 14. He asked Jesus to let him come on the water to him, and Jesus said, come on. But when Peter took his off Jesus, he sank.

As long as he did what Jesus did, he was fine.

When we wonder what to do, we do what Jesus did. We act as Jesus acted.

When we would be faced with situations, we would ask: WWJD? What would Jesus do?

As overused and commercial s it became, it was still absolutely, and vitally true.

When it ceases being true in your life, you need to step back and take stock of yourself and your life, because you have lost the main focus. You have taken your eyes of Jesus.

And you sink in life.

DWJD. Do what Jesus did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.