java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Thursday, July 8, 2010

dear dad

Dear Dad:

I was thinking about you on your birthday and want to wish you a Happy Birthday.

Since I am your oldest son (at 60 years old), I remember a long time and a lot of things.

One thing came to mind especially. You had a 1956 red and white Chrysler station wagon that you used as a work car back in the early 1960’s. It had a pushbutton transmission and seemed like a decent car. Of course,

I was only about 12 or so, I don’t remember exactly.

But one vacation, you worked for a construction company for the whole two weeks. Gerald, my little brother who is 3 years younger than me, and I rode our bicycles out to where you were working.

It was several miles and we felt almost like pioneers going a long distance. I had a red 24 inch bicycle with balloon tires, and Gerald had a more modern Schwinn-style bike. We got to your work place about quitting time, and you took us home in your station wagon.

It was a small thing, but one that I have remembered all of the rest of my life. I believe we went to the grand opening when it came on line. There were hot dogs and other prizes, and even an appearance of Cadet Don, a children’s program star on Channel 13. I remember that he was much smaller than I thought he would be. I found out later that almost every TV and even movie star are little.

Later, when I was grown, I went out with you on your job in your company car. This was after you had been promoted to the safety department. It was good being with you that day. I even had my first Slurpee that day from 7-11.

I have  a lot of good memories about you and I recognize that you don’t remember them. But that is okay. I will remember them for you. One day, as we stand in the glorious presence of the Almighty Lord, our Healer,

I believe he will give you that remembering and will heal your memory. And if he doesn’t, it will not matter. We’ll still be there.

But for now, I will remember. But remember that I love you.

Johnny

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.