java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Sunday, July 25, 2010

daily java

Daily Java: Psalm 37:4 Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.

When I was younger I thought this meant that God would give us whatever we wanted if we would serve him.

As I get older, I realize that there is more to this that what I thought earlier.

If we serve God (ie delight in him), if we give our lives to him, love him, he will give us the desires of our heart.

In other words, he will cause in us to happen that which is what we need to be truly happy.

What is it? I do not know. I do know, however, that it is what finishes you in his will, what completes you in his service.

There is something you are uniquely talented towards, something that only you can do. That is the desire of your heart.

Of course, that means that you may be beating your head against a wall for years trying to do something you are not talented for. The problem is that you cannot gain that desire of your heart through any action of yours.

It does mean that when you give your life to him, he gives it back with joy

The desires of your heart. Happiness.

1 comment:

  1. It's hard to trust in the Lord...to let go that much. It's more about him giving than the desires of my heart...

    ReplyDelete

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.